Monday, June 24, 2013

Trifecta - Early Summer Book Reviews

Greetings readers!

Summer is officially here, and I hope it is treating everyone very well. I haven't read much indie fiction in a while so tonight I have no insights to share on obscure authors barely floating along in the same rickety boat as me. However, I have been burning through audiobooks from more recognizable authors like mad, especially since I discovered the awesomeness that is the portable Playaway mp3 players available at the library. They're perfect for listening to audiobooks at work (if applicable) and in the car. Anyway, here are three short reviews on books that I finished this month.

77 SHADOW STREET
by Dean Koontz





The cover and description of this book would have you think that it is traditional horror tale about a haunted hotel in the vein of Stephen King's The Shining, but in reality this is a sci-fi novel. Now, I like science fiction mind you, however, I like good science fiction. Koontz raises some interesting questions about the future of technology, but ultimately the plot is predictable and slowly trudges on.

Stars: 2/5


MANUSCRIPT FOUND IN ACCRA
by Paulo Coelho



This is a short book -- only two hours in audio and read by Jeremy Irons! It's really a philosophical book written in a pesudo-parable style. The "manuscript" in question is supposedly one of those found with the Dead Sea Scrolls that records the sayings of a 'teacher' written during one of the crusades. The teacher is a foil for Coelho to pontificate on what makes life worth living, but I feel his thoughts on the adventure of life are very uplifting and inspirational.

Stars: 5/5


A WALK IN THE WOODS
by Bill Bryson



This was my first foray into the wonderful world of the travel essay. I enjoy traveling and discovering new places very much, so hearing Bryson's adventures on the Appalachian Trail was sort of a mental excursion for me. Bryson writes in a light and humorous style, and he manages to blend (quite beautifully I might add) the shenanigans he and his travel partner get into with a more serious and informative discussion about the AT's history and the state of nature in America.

Stars: 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment