Friday, February 1, 2013

Poll Breakdown: How do you read your books?

In January's poll I asked: How do you read your books? According to respondents, the Kindle, Nook, iPad and "other e-reader" all tied for second place with 20% of the vote. The clear winner was old fashioned ink and paper. What can this very scientific poll tell us about reading trends? It tell us that among the literary crowd who visit writing blogs, the print book is alive and well. However, in light of recent news that Barnes and Noble will be closing 1/3 of its stores, it appears that ereaders have a stronger hold on the market than my poll would suggest. Ebooks are not solely responsible as you have to factor in online shopping as perhaps the biggest diversion of sales from brick and mortar stores. In less sobering news, no respondents selected "I wait for the movie version" so at least we can sleep soundly knowing there is a brief glimmer of hope for the future. Leap-frogging off this post, please take part in February's poll (located on the right hand side) where I ask what the bookstore in 2023 looks like.

2 comments:

  1. Sad I missed this. How I usually read my books is naked by the fireplace while smoking a pipe. Pretty awesome if I do say so myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is the only way to read books! Why isn't there a "like" button on this thing?

    ReplyDelete